Electric Journey Line Worker
Company: CMS Energy
Posted on: June 25, 2022
Join a diverse and dynamic team that makes and delivers the most
valuable services in the world: electricity and natural gas. At
Consumers Energy, our customers are at the heart of everything we
do. Our employees work around the clock to provide service to our
customers in honor of our history and to fulfill our promise to
Michigan - Count on Us! Consumers Energy, the principal subsidiary
of CMS Energy and headquartered in Jackson, Michigan, provides
natural gas and electricity to nearly 6.8 million of Michigan's 10
million residents in all 68 Lower Peninsula counties.
Electric Journey Line Workers are central to Consumers Energy's
operations of delivering electricity to homes and businesses
throughout our service territory.
Under general supervision, a Journey Line Worker performs any
duties required in the operation, maintenance and construction of
the electric distribution, sub-transmission, transmission,
communication lines and associated equipment.
Key responsibilities include:
* Locate and repair faults on all types of overhead and underground
lines and equipment on regulators, transformers of all types,
capacitors, boosters and similar devices.
* Install or remove poles, towers, arms, pins, insulators, dead
ends and associated equipment in and on energized circuits.
* Measure voltage and current, phasing and paralleling circuits,
power or lightning transformers and regulators.
* Install and test electronic devices on equipment such as
capacitors and other associated equipment on electric distribution
* Direct and train electric line apprentices in accordance with the
electric line apprenticeship program.
A journeyman line worker must be familiar with:
* Installing, inspecting, removing, maintaining, and repairing
poles, towers, cross arms, braces, pins, insulators, secondary
racks, brackets, guys, transformer supports, and other supporting
structures, wires and other conductors.
* Transformers, lightning arresters, capacitors, isolators, fuses
* Disconnecting oil and air-break switches and repeater fuses.
* Communication lines.
* Other associated equipment.
* Knowledge about what causes radio or television interference.
* Candidates filling these positions may be subject to working an
When applying to this position, please attach your certified
Journeyman Lineman card (which shows the date you topped out) along
with a resume.
* Must have all of the qualifications of a Journeyman Line Worker
including a certified Journeyman Lineman card (equivalent to 4
years of experience as a line worker).
* Must be able to complete a pre-employment assessment at the
Consumers Energy training facility.
This position is included under a collective bargaining agreement
with the Utility Workers Union of America.
* Maintenance of Electric Distribution systems as well as
facilities and ancillary support process for all utility
* Duties and who this individual reports to will fluctuate between
* Individual possesses the skills to lead, problem solve, and work
well in a team environment.
* Individual should exemplify safe work practices and follow the
company's compliance standards.
Hours and Travel
* This position requires the individual work a minimum of 40 hours
per week with the majority of time spent in specific field
* Travel is required to job sites.
* Individuals need to be willing to work additional hours as
necessary to meet deadlines or assist with storm restoration
* Individual should be willing to participate in the on call
rotation in case of potential storms.
* Individual may have to work outside of assigned headquarters to
help with storm restoration which may require overnight stays.
* Individuals must have a valid Commercial Driver's License
The physical demands described here are representative of those
that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the
essential functions of this job:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with
disabilities to perform the essential functions.
* While performing the duties of this job, the employee is
regularly required to sit; stand; walk; and stoop, kneel, crouch,
or crawl; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or
controls; and reach with hands and arms.
* Must be able to stand and walk for periods of up to and beyond
eight hours in all kinds of weather; snow, mud, dirt, water, ice,
* The employee frequently is required to talk or hear.
* The employee must frequently lift and move up to fifty pounds and
occasionally lift and move up to seventy-five pounds.
* Specific vision abilities required by this job include close
vision, color vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust
The work environment characteristics described here are
representative of those an employee encounters while performing the
essential functions of this job:
* The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to
* Individual must have the ability to work up to 16 continuous
hours during storm restoration efforts.
Position will be filled at the Electric Journeyman Lineman level as
the candidate must already have all of the qualifications of an
Electric Journeyman Lineman, including uploading a certified
Electric Journeyman Lineman card or certification (equivalent to 4
years of experience as an electric line worker) into their
All qualified applicants will not be discriminated against and will
receive consideration for employment without regard to protected
veteran status, disability, race, color, religion, sex, sexual
orientation, gender identity or national origin.
Job Segment: Utilities Lineworker, Lineworker, Electrical,
Facilities, Energy, Engineering, Operations
Keywords: CMS Energy, Flint , Electric Journey Line Worker, Professions , Flint, Michigan
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!