Medical Laboratory Scientist/ Technician
Company: Mid Michigan Health
Posted on: June 25, 2022
MEDICAL TECHNOLOGIST - GLADWIN
- Newly updated competitive wage scale
- Access to growth opportunities
MEDICAL TECHNOLOGIST DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Meets Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA)
- Collection, processing, and analysis of biological specimens in
the laboratory. Including the preparation of reagents and
comprehensive knowledge of specimen collection (such as
venipuncture or collecting hazardous or infectious materials for
culture) in order to act as backup to phlebotomy team and may
perform venipuncture and/or collect cultures.
- Appraises results to distinguish normal and abnormal values,
performs calculations, prepares and distributes written, electronic
(e.g. LIS), and verbal reports.
- Evaluates appropriateness of patient and quality control
results and enters into the Laboratory Information System. Strictly
follows critical notification policy when results meet stated
- Follows all laboratory safety policies and procedures.
- Maintains inventory through first in first out (FIFO)
principals including ordering, stocking, and managing
- Disposes of biohazards, chemicals, etc. in a safe manner
following department procedure.
- Performs preventative maintenance of instruments and
- Assists in training new technologists and medical technology
- Works with section leaders to organize workflow and optimize
- Supervision Exercised: Limited in the absence of Technical
Specialist and/or Manager.
- For high complexity tests, this position may serve as a general
supervisor (CLIA definition), defined in laboratory policy.
Medical Laboratory Technician OR Medical Technologist OR Medical
Laboratory Scientist Degree Required
- Medical Technologist (MT) / Medical Laboratory Scientist (MLS)
= Bachelor's Degree Required
Those certified prior to 2004 by the Department of Health Services
(HHS formally HEW), the American Association of Bioanalysts (AAB)
and the American Medical Technologists (AMT), or the American
Society of Clinical Pathologists (ASCP). No requirement to
- Medical Laboratory Technician (MLT) = Associate's Degree
Those certified after 2004 by the American Society of Clinical
Pathologists (ASCP). Certification will remain valid for a period
of three years. In order to maintain certification, must complete
the Certification Maintenance Program (CMP) every three years.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE, TRAINING, AND SKILLS:
- Must be registered as an MLT, MT or MLS with the ASCP, NCA,
and/or HEW within 6 months of hire or transfer.
- Organizational skills needed to prioritize daily workload.
- Written, verbal, and interpersonal skills needed to communicate
successfully with individuals and groups and interact with
employees at all levels within the Medical Center to communicate
ideas and concepts in a clear and concise manner.
- Basic knowledge of laboratory instruments needed to
- Demonstrates knowledge, ability and competence in providing
clinical data needed for the treatment of patients ranging in age
from birth to 100+ years.
- MyMichigan Health is a technology driven organization and
employees need to demonstrate competency in MicrosoftWindows.
- Mandatory Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA)
training must also be completed annually according to the Exposure
- An employee may be required to participate in further learning
opportunities offered by MyMichigan Health.
PHYSICAL/MENTAL REQUIREMENTS AND TYPICAL WORKING CONDITIONS:
Exposure to stressful situations, including those involving public
contact, as well as, trauma, grief and death. Able to wear personal
protective equipment that includes latex materials or appropriate
substitute if required for your position. Is able to move freely
about facility with or without an assisted device and must be able
to perform the functions of the job as outlined in the job
description. Overall vision and hearing is necessary with or
without assisted device(s). Frequently required to sit/stand/walk
for long periods of time. May require frequent postural changes
such as stooping, kneeling or crouching. Some exposure to
bloodborne pathogens and other potentially infectious material.
Must follow MyMichigan Health bloodborne pathogen and TB testing as
required. Ability to handle multiple tasks, get along with others,
work independently, regular and predictable attendance and ability
to stay awake. Overall dexterity is required including handling,
reaching, grasping, fingering and feeling.May require repetition of
these movements on a regular to frequent basis. Physical Demand
Level: Light. Must be able to occasionally (0-33% of the workday)
lift or carry 11-20 lbs., frequently (34-66% of the workday) 10
lbs. and or Walk/Stand/Push/Pull of Arm/Leg controls. Associated
topics: ascp, blood collection, laboratory, medical, molecular,
pathology, services, technician iii, technician iv,
Keywords: Mid Michigan Health, Flint , Medical Laboratory Scientist/ Technician, Professions , Gladwin, Michigan
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!