Fuel Supply Operator
Company: CMS Energy
Posted on: January 15, 2022
CMS Enterprises owns and operates independent power generating
plants, natural gas assets and an energy marketing group for the
non-utility segment of CMS Energy's business.--- We are proud of
our strong history of reliably serving our utility, municipal,
commercial and industrial customers.---To learn more about CMS
Enterprises business, please visit
At CMS Enterprises, we offer more than just a place to work. We
foster a culture which supports career development, growth, and
stability, and we take pride in offering our co-workers excellent
benefits and compensation packages. We are deliberately creating an
inclusive culture that makes our diverse team of co-workers feel
valued, supported, and empowered every day. We're part of a company
made up of thousands of people, all with different stories to share
and work to do, but we stand united in our company purpose: world
class performance delivering hometown service.
The Grayling Generating Station plant is a 38 MW biomass-fueled
renewable energy power plant that produces electricity. The fuel
consists primarily of bark and sawdust from local lumber mills and
the non-marketable biomass from lumbering operations.
The power produced supports the health of the forests, mitigates
greenhouse gases (is "carbon neutral"), conserves landfill space
and supports the electric grid in northern Michigan. The electric
output is sold pursuant to a long-term power purchase agreement
with Consumers Energy Company. This facility can produce enough
electricity to power approximately 38,000 homes. Commercial
operation began in 1992.
The Power Plant Biomass (Wood) Fuel Supply Operator reports to the
Operations Supervisor, Lead Control Room Operator and Lead Fuel
Supply Operator. In this role, you will control fuel and ash
handling equipment for receiving, stacking and transporting fuel
and ash. You will also operate large mobile equipment necessary to
supply fuel to the plant conveyor system and inspect and perform
preventative and minor maintenance on mobile equipment and conveyor
systems when not fueling the plant.
To support the safe, efficient operation of the plant by operating
heavy equipment to keep the plant supplied with fuel while
complying with all station procedures and environmental
Your duties will include:
* Operate fuel and/or ash handling equipment which may include
wheel loaders, track driven dozers and various machinery in a safe
and efficient manner.
* Receive, unload, mix, stage, and stack/store fuel in a manner
consistent with established fuel handling procedures.
* Perform preventative maintenance and minor repairs on mobile/fuel
train equipment routinely and thoroughly.
* Maintain accurate operational logs on mobile equipment, as
* Maintain a clean and safe work area; regularly clean, sweep, and
pick up conveyor spillage; unplugs choke points / obstructions from
fuel train components; report or resolve any unsafe conditions
* Clean mobile, fuel yard and heavy equipment, as required.
* Perform inspection and maintenance activities on all equipment in
accordance with established schedules, or as needed.
* Reclaim fuel as necessary to support overall plant operation.
* Perform scale house functions, including obtaining and labeling
fuel samples, as required.
* Assist with plant operation and maintenance, as required;
including forced and planned outages.
* Maintain a safe work environment through job planning and
identification and correction of hazards.
* Adherence to plant safety rules and procedures.
* Inspect fuel deliveries for compliance as outlined in the wood
waste procurement and monitoring plan.
* Capable of performing a number of routine duties involving
various procedures which require minor decisions.
* Must complete Position Qualification Requirements (PQR) as
* Perform all other related duties, as required.
* High school diploma or GED.
* A thorough knowledge of Large Mobile Heavy Equipment (e.g., CAT
D8 Dozers, CAT 938 loaders) operation and established
* Previous experience OPERATING and/or MAINTAINING heavy equipment
(e.g., construction, farming equipment).
* Previous experience OPERATING and/or MAINTAINING a bulldozer.
* Basic computer skills
* Ability to work overtime, as well as any shift schedule,
including nights and weekends
* Work a rotating 12-hour shift over a 28-day cycle
* Be fitted for and wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE),
* Ability to effectively communicate with co-workers and take
direction from others
* Previous experience at a Power Generation Biomass facility
* Associates Degree
All qualified applicants will not be discriminated against and will
receive consideration for employment without regard to protected
veteran status, disability, race, color, religion, sex, sexual
orientation, gender identity or national origin.
Nearest Major Market: Northern Michigan
Job Segment: Supply, Power Plant Operator, Inspector, Procurement,
Facilities, Operations, Energy, Quality
Keywords: CMS Energy, Flint , Fuel Supply Operator, Other , Grayling, Michigan
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!