First Assistant / Surgical 1st Assist
Location: Grand Blanc
Posted on: October 14, 2021
We Are Hiring:
SCHEDULE: FT Day,
7a-3:30p, M–F & Rotating WE; Rotating Call
Weeknights/Weekends/Holidays, 30 min. response time for
Operating Rooms, the Surgery Department at Ascension Genesys
Hospital has a team of more than 100 dedicated medical
professionals handling a full range of inpatient and outpatient
surgeries including, open-heart surgery and minimally invasive
surgeries. Ascension Genesys Hospital offers beautiful facilities
with the latest in advanced surgical technology. Our robotics
program covers multiple services including General, GYN, Oncology,
Thoracic, and Urology. Each day brings exciting new challenges and
a fast pace that will keep you involved and interested in your
work. Our Nurse Managers enjoy great benefits and opportunities for
career development and growth.
rewarding career paths for healthcare professionals across all
disciplines. Ascension offers a collaborative environment with
competitive wages and opportunities for advancement.
available to full-time AND part time employees.
What You Will Do:
• Medical, dental, vision, life
insurance, disability, and a retirement plan with match
• Socially just benefits and
• Paid time off
• Wellbeing programs and holistic
• Tuition reimbursement
• Adoption assistance
Under the direct supervision of the
attending physician, performs a variety of first assistant duties.
Functions as a second assistant; fills in for surgical technicians
and surgical physician assistants; prepares sterile supplies; uses
sterile technique, and properly handles and maintains surgical
equipment and instruments; participates in education programs, and
performs other related duties as requested by authorized
What You Will Need:
- Perform a variety of first assistant duties under the direct
supervision of the attending physician including such duties as:
Dissection of tissues, vein harvesting, clamping vessels, major
suturing (peritoneum, fascia, subcutaneous tissue, subcuticular
and/or skin closure with staples, hemostasis with clamps and/or
hemostatic clips, hemostasis and dissection with cautery).
- Function as a second assistant performing surgical procedures
such as: Retraction, maintenance of a clear surgical field through
sponging and suctioning, maneuvering retractors in laparoscopic
procedures, minor suturing, typing sutures, holding limbs, and
maneuvering camera on laparoscopic and arthroscopic procedures.
Able to assist physician in hemostasis and dissection.
- Take call as first assistant as needed for all
- Prepare sterile supplies, sets up cases, scrubs and assists
with surgical procedures such as passing instruments, sponges,
suture materials, etc., using sterile technique.
- Properly handles and maintains surgical instruments and other
- Participate in formal and informal education programs as
required. Attend continuing education seminars and conferences to
maintain any certification requirements and current knowledge in
- Perform other related duties as requested by authorized
- Function as a surgical technician in place of First Assistant
duties as necessary; to include preparation, follow through and
clean up responsibilities of a case.
- Function as a role model / preceptor facilitating patient care,
promoting quality care and providing expertise to the OR team.
- Assists the OR Team with the turnover and facilitation of
- Minimum Qualifications:
- Graduate of a Surgical First Assistant Program.
- Five years of current operating room scrub and/or assisting
- Successful completion of the First Assistant Certification
- Must be dependable, flexible, and possess professional
communication skills, initiative, tact, diplomacy, and other skills
necessary to perform all the duties of this position.
- Maximum qualifications preferred.
- Essential Functions:
- Must be dependable and possess good communication skills,
initiative, tact, diplomacy, and other skills necessary to perform
all the duties of the position.
- Must be able to stand for long periods of time, must possess
visual and auditory acuity, perform fine detail work, and possess
- Working Conditions:.
- Work setting is a surgical suite. May be exposed to
patient illness, communicable diseases, blood and body fluid
hazards, and hazardous chemicals.
- Orientation Requirements:
- Must attend new employee orientation and department
- The above is intended to describe the general nature and level
of work performed by people assigned to this classification. It is
not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties,
responsibilities or qualifications for the people so classified,
nor is it intended to limit or modify in any way, the right of any
supervisor to assign, direct, and control the work of employees
under their supervision. The most recently dated job description on
file in the Human Resources Department will be considered the
official job description.
Licensure / Certification /
- Certified BLS Provider specializing in Basic Life Support
credentialed from the American Heart Association (AHA) obtained
within 6 Months (180 days) of hire date or job transfer date
- Certified First Surgical Assistant credentialed from the
National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting
- Certified Surgical Tech credentialed from the National Board of
Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (NBSTSA) preferred.
- Completion of a recognized scrub technician college program
- Requires five (5) years of current operating room scrub and/or
No additional preferences.
Why Join Our Team:
employs over 20,000 compassionate caregivers across 16 hospitals
and hundreds of related healthcare facilities. Our care teams are
dedicated to providing spiritually centered, holistic care which
sustains and improves the health of the communities we serve. We
provide generous paid time off for work-life balance, a
collaborative work environment, professional development
opportunities and more to help our associates flourish personally
and professionally. If you are looking for a rewarding career in
healthcare, we invite you to apply today.
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer:
When you join Ascension, you join a team of over 150,000
individuals across the country committed to a Mission of serving
others and providing compassionate, personalized care to all. Our
inclusive culture, continuing education programs, career coaches
and benefit offerings are just a few of the resources and tools
that team members can use to create a rewarding career path. In
fact, Ascension spent nearly $46 million in tuition assistance
alone to support associate growth and development. If you are
looking for a career where you can grow and make a difference in
your community, we invite you to join our team today.
Ascension Genesys is an equal
opportunity employer (EEO) and affords equal opportunity to all
associates and applicants without regard to race, color, religion,
national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, physical
or mental disability, veteran status, genetic data, or other
legally protected status.
For further information regarding your EEO rights, click on the
following link to the “EEO is the Law” poster:
EEO is the Law Poster Supplement
Please note that Ascension will make an offer of employment only to
individuals who have applied for a position using our official
application. Be on alert for possible fraudulent offers of
employment. Ascension will not solicit money or banking information
Keywords: Ascension, Flint , First Assistant / Surgical 1st Assist, Other , Grand Blanc, Michigan
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!