CPD Technician II - Sterile Processing
Location: Grand Blanc
Posted on: September 12, 2021
We Are Hiring:
CPD Technician - Sterile Processing
Evenings (7% shift differential), 3p -11:30p, rotating
Benefit Eligible Position
Ascension Genesys Hospital - Grand Blanc,MI
Ascension Genesys Hospital is a state-of-the-art community teaching
hospital with 410 beds, a level 2 emergency trauma center with a
cardiac rapid diagnostic center, the Genesys Heart Institute, the
Family Birthing Center, and expanded clinical expertise in
neurosciences, orthopedics, geriatric services, oncology, and
surgical procedures in almost every specialty area including
minimally invasive and robotic procedures. We offer rewarding
career paths for healthcare professionals across all
disciplines. Ascension offers a collaborative environment
with competitive wages and opportunities for
dental, vision, life insurance, and a retirement plan with
programs and holistic growth opportunities
What You Will Do:
Coordinate surgical instruments and
supplies for surgery. Serves as contact person for Operating Room
personnel in need of instruments and supplies. Develop strong
knowledge of core specialty with secondary experience in other
cores. Functions as resource in the department and coordinates the
trial, purchase and building of new and/or revised instrument sets,
responsible for consignment/loaner tray build. Performs a variety
of Central Processing Department (CPD) Technician service duties
such as, but not limited to: washing, (re)assembling and
equipment and supplies for sterilization; operating sterilizing
equipment; dispensing various supplies and equipment; dispensing
various supplies and equipment upon request; maintaining
inventories; confirming that patient charges/credits are processed
correctly; basic computer data
input to send messages, work orders, etc. Prioritizes workflow
effectively, responding to routine and emergency user requests.
Maintains a clean, orderly, and safe facility. Performs other
related duties as requested by authorized personnel.
What You Will Need:
- Double checks for complete case carts and that appropriate
loaner trays are on correct case carts. Ensures that the first
scheduled case of the day goes on-time from CPD responsibility end,
and will be held responsible for any case not starting on
- Demonstrate effective and thorough communication with CPD
Staff, Operating Room (OR) suites, and OR/CPD management. Functions
as resource in the department and provides coverage to all service
lines in times of need and as assigned by supervisor.
- Function as point of contact for assigned service lines, and is
the CPD to OR Liaison for all issues related to the CPD. Maintains
service line on-hand carts located in OR Cores.
- Participate in projects that improve work efficiency. Assists
surgeons, RNs, and Surgical Technicians to provide correct
instrumentation and equipment for quality patient care.
- Wash, reassemble and rewrap used instruments, instrument sets,
supplies and equipment for sterilization.
- Reprocess outdated and appropriate contaminated items.
- Operate steam sterilizers and other processing equipment.
- Mark packages to be sterilized with expiration dates.
- Ensure all processed and stored supplies conform to required
sanitary/sterile conditions. Returns damaged contaminated items for
- Assist with ordering and storage of supplies.
- Clean and dusts work areas, shelves, sinks, equipment, etc. as
- Notifie supervisor of equipment and supply problems.
- Maintain various records and logs.
- Essential Functions--Must:
- be physically able to lift at least 50 pounds, and able to hear
bells, beeps, whistles, buzzers and pages.
- Be able to communicate by phone, in person, in writing and by
computer with various Medical Center personnel and/or general
- Be able to accept and follow instruction.
- Be able to plan, organize and prioritize a days activity; must
be able to handle interruptions and return to plan.
- Possess a high degree of hand/eye coordination.
- Be able to use Rolling carts of various sizes, and able to
supply deliveries by elevator and stairs.
- Be able to follow and comply with Medical Center and department
policies & procedures.
- Be able to maintain written records.
- Be able to give attention to detail for extended periods of
- Be able to assemble instrument trays accurately and at
acceptable productivity levels.
- Be able to pick supplies for surgery cases in timely,
- Be able to understand and comply with inventory levels, supply
rotation and storage and outdate policies and procedures.
- Have ability to establish and maintain rapport with patients,
employers, supervisors and contacts external to Medical
- Working conditions:
- Stands and/or walks a greater portion of the day.
- Able to move throughout Medical Center.
- Working interrelationships with CPD and other departments
within the Medical Center and customers outside the Medical
- May be exposed to needles, sharps, cuts, and punctures.
- Potential exposure to high-risk diseases, eg , hepatitis, HTLV
III, due to nature of soiled equipment and instrumentation returned
- Works with sterilizers, tunnel washers and cart washers.
- Restricted department; works in close proximity with
co-workers; teamwork required.
- Orientation requirements: Must attend Health System new hire
orientation and department orientation six
(6) months in duration.
- The above is intended to describe the general nature and level
of work performed by people assigned to this classification; it is
not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties,
responsibilities or qualifications for people so classified, nor is
it intended to limit or modify in any way, the right of any
supervisor to assign, direct, and control the work of employees
under their supervision; the most recently dated job description on
file in Human Resources will be considered the official job
Licensure / Certification /
- Certified Registered Central Service Technician (CRCST) from
the International Association of Healthcare Central Service
Material Management (IAHCSMM) required. In lieu of the CRCST, a
Certified Sterile Processing and Distribution Technician (CSPDT)
from the Certification Board for Sterile Processing and
Distribution (CBSPD) will be acceptable.
- High School Diploma or equivalent required. Certificate
attained through successful completion of a sterile processing
program at an accredited institution is preferred.
- Two years relevant experience preferred.
- Must have in-depth knowledge and experience of surgical
instrumentation and be able to properly identify many types of
instrumentation and able to proficiently assemble instrument sets
with speed and accuracy.
- Must understand and speak English sufficient to read, write and
follow oral and/or written instructions.
- Must be able to write legibly and spell with accuracy.
- Must possess and demonstrate discretion in dealing with
confidential information and the communication skills, initiative,
tact, diplomacy and dependability to perform all duties of the
position; must be capable of functioning in a fast paced, stressful
- Must be physically and mentally capable of performing all
duties of the position.
- Must be clean in appearance.
No additional preferences.
Why Join Our Team:
employs over 20,000 compassionate caregivers across 16 hospitals
and hundreds of related healthcare facilities. Our care teams are
dedicated to providing spiritually centered, holistic care which
sustains and improves the health of the communities we serve. We
provide generous paid time off for work-life balance, a
collaborative work environment, professional development
opportunities and more to help our associates flourish personally
and professionally. If you are looking for a rewarding career in
healthcare, we invite you to apply today.
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer:
When you join Ascension, you join a team of over 160,000
individuals across the country committed to a Mission of serving
others and providing compassionate, personalized care to all. Our
inclusive culture, continuing education programs, career coaches
and benefit offerings are just a few of the resources and tools
that team members can use to create a rewarding career path. In
fact, Ascension spent nearly $46 million in tuition assistance
alone to support associate growth and development. If you are
looking for a career where you can grow and make a difference in
your community, we invite you to join our team today.
Ascension Genesys is an equal
opportunity employer (EEO) and affords equal opportunity to all
associates and applicants without regard to race, color, religion,
national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, physical
or mental disability, veteran status, genetic data, or other
legally protected status.
For further information regarding your EEO rights, click on the
following link to the “EEO is the Law” poster:
EEO is the Law Poster Supplement
Please note that Ascension will make an offer of employment only to
individuals who have applied for a position using our official
application. Be on alert for possible fraudulent offers of
employment. Ascension will not solicit money or banking information
Keywords: Ascension, Flint , CPD Technician II - Sterile Processing, Other , Grand Blanc, Michigan
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!