Company: CMS Energy
Posted on: June 12, 2021
CMS Enterprises owns and operates independent power generating
plants, natural gas assets and an energy marketing group for the
non-utility segment of CMS Energy's business. We are proud of our
strong history of reliably serving our utility, municipal,
commercial and industrial customers.To learn more about CMS
Enterprises business, please visit https://www.cms-enterprises.com/about.
At CMS Enterprises, we offer more than just a place to work. We
foster a culture which supports career development, growth, and
stability, and we take pride in offering our co-workers excellent
benefits and compensation packages. We are deliberately creating an
inclusive culture that makes our diverse team of co-workers feel
valued, supported, and empowered every day. We're part of a company
made up of thousands of people, all with different stories to share
and work to do, but we stand united in our company purpose: world
class performance delivering hometown service.
This position is available at our Genesee Power Station (GPS) in
Flint, Michigan. It is a renewable facility which burns a variety
of biomass materials that would otherwise be landfilled, including
tree trimmings, land-clearing residue, construction debris,
pallets, spools and other clean industrial wood wastes provided by
Mid Michigan Recycling. The power produced supports the health of
the forests, mitigates greenhouse gases (is "carbon neutral"),
conserves landfill space, and supports the electric grid in central
Michigan. The electric output is sold pursuant to a long -term
power purchase agreement with Consumers Energy Company. This
facility can produce enough electricity to power approximately
40,000 homes. Commercial operation began in 1995.
The Operations Manager is an integral part of the GPS leadership
team and to lead a safe and efficient Operations department.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversees the GPS Operations Department. Direct supervision of
- Will learn Micro-Main work management system and process for
- Ensures safe, timely, accurate completion of all PM work orders
assigned to the Operations department.
- Develops metrics to show the Operations work management process
progress on a weekly basis.
- Ensures the support of the Operations department during forced
and scheduled outages. Provides technical assistance and assist in
troubling shooting to support the plant goals.
- Trains the Operations department personnel on all company
policies and government regulations. Oversees and administers the
operations budget for the facility.
- Provides subordinate coaching and counseling as necessary.
Oversees special projects as necessary.
- Oversees the Operations training program and makes sure the
personnel are performing accordingly. Coordinates and oversees
contract work as necessary.
- Complies with all company safety policies and procedures.
- Schedules, performs, and analyzes plant calibration
- Oversees plant Continuing Monitoring System (CEMS) operation.
Ensures reliability and compliance. Assists in identifying and
implementing plant betterment and/or profit improvement
- Responds quickly to plant conditions or requirements which may
involve extended work hours. Assists in developing and defining
plant policies and procedures.
- Participates in proactive team efforts to achieve departmental,
plant, and company goals. Provides leadership to others through
leading by example and sharing of knowledge and skills.
- Performs other collateral duties as assigned.
- A college degree in a technical or engineering field; or
equivalent combination of education and experience
- Must possess a demonstrated track record of successful goal
- 5+ years' relevant experience, with 3+ years in a supervisory
- Must be willing and able to work call ins, overtime and various
schedules to support plant operations
- Demonstrated knowledge of power plant operations and technical
ability is preferred.
- A thorough demonstrated understanding of power plant
operations, including a working knowledge of the operations &
- A working knowledge of chemistry as it relates to plant
operations as well as environmental and water treatment programs
and statutory regulations. Understand budgets, bid proposals,
contract evaluation, basic accounting principles.
- Demonstrates the ability to make competent decisions in
- Demonstrates the ability to read and interpret mechanical
drawings, electrical one-lines, logic drawings, and technical
- Ability to solve practical problems, clearly communicate tasks
and needs, and training of other personnel. Analyzes and interprets
data to make sound professional judgments and recommendations.
- Demonstrate good verbal and written communication skills.
Ability to manage and motivate subordinates.
- Advance level of computer skills
- Able to deal with multiple levels of personalities in people.
General/specific knowledge of maintenance requirements and
- Must have in depth knowledge of all Plant systems, their
support equipment, theory of operation, and proper care and
maintenance of same. Previously have worked in the fossil fuel/
- Leadership training/skills/seminars; able to deal with people,
etc. General/specific knowledge of operational requirements and
practices. Ability to prioritize work.
- In-depth knowledge of all Plant systems, their support
equipment, theory of operation, and proper care and maintenance of
- Able to perform job responsibilities of those under your
direction. Good oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills. Familiarity
with MlOSHA/OSHA regulations.
- Familiarity with a procedural oriented company/industry.
- Must be able and willing to work any shift schedule, including
call-ins, nights and weekends.
The physical demands described here are representative of those
that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the
essential functions of this job.
- Stooping: Bending body downward and forward by bending spine at
waist. Requires full use of lower extremities and back muscles.
Kneeling: Bending legs at knee to come to a rest on one knee or
- Crouching: Bending the body downward and forward by bending leg
and spine. Reaching: Extending hand(s) and arm(s) in any
- Sitting: Sitting upright in the work area to perform
- Crawling: Positioning the body so that weight is evenly
distributed on both hands and knees on a flat surface. Standing:
Particularly for sustained periods of time.
- Walking: Moving about on foot to accomplish tasks, particularly
for long distances.
- Pushing: Using upper extremities to press against something
with steady force in order to thrust forward, downward or outward.
Pulling: Using upper extremities to exert force in order to draw,
drag, haul or tug objects in a sustained motion.
- Lifting: Raising objects from a lower to a higher position or
moving objects horizontally from position-to-position. Requires
substantial use of the upper extremities and back muscles.
- Fingering: Picking, pinching, typing or otherwise working,
primarily with fingers rather than with the whole hand or arm as in
handling. Grasping: Applying pressure to an object with the fingers
- Talking: Expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken
word. Those activities which they must convey detailed or important
spoken instructions to other workers accurately, loudly, or
- Hearing: Perceiving the nature of sounds with no less than a 40
dB loss at 500 Hz, 1000 Hz and 2000 Hz with or without
- Ability to receive detailed information through oral
communication and to make fine discriminations in sound, such as
when making fine adjustments on machined parts.
- Heavy Work - Exerting up to 70 pounds of force occasionally,
and/or up to 50 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 20 pounds
of force constantly to move objects.
- Visual Acuity Requirements including Color, Depth Perception, &
Field of Vision.
- Machine Operator (including inspection) - This is a minimum
standard for use with those whose work deals largely with visual
inspection involving small defects, small parts, operation of
machines (including inspection), using measurement devices,
assembly or fabrication of parts at distances close to the
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with
disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- CONDITIONS THE WORKER WILL BE SUBJECT TO IN THIS POSITION
- Inside environmental conditions: Protection from weather
conditions, but not necessarily from temperature changes.
- The worker is required to wear personal protective
- Outside environmental conditions: Minimal protection from
weather conditions and temperature changes. Extreme heat:
Temperatures above 100 degrees for periods of more than one hour
during a work shift.
- Extreme cold: Temperatures below 32 degrees for periods of more
than one hour during a work shift.
- Noise: There is sufficient noise to cause the worker to shout
in order to be heard above the ambient noise level.
- Hazards: Includes a variety of physical conditions, such as
proximity to moving mechanical parts, and exposure to high heat or
exposure to chemicals. Atmospheric conditions: One or more of the
following conditions that may affect the respiratory system or the
skin: Fumes, odors, dusts, mists, gases or poor ventilation.
- Oils: There is air and/or skin exposure to oils and other
cutting fluids. Prolonged, irregular working hours.
MENTAL/EMOTIONAL DEMANDS OF THE JOB
Temperaments applying to this job include:
- Performing repetitive or short cycle work.
- Working alone or apart, in physical isolation from others.
Attaining precise set limit s, tolerances, and standards. Working
under specific instructions.
- Dealing with people from multiple functions. Making judgments
- Dealing with changing priorities.
Giving direction to others without having formal authority.
Working under pressure to meet specific deadlines
All qualified applicants will not be discriminated against and
will receive consideration for employment without regard to
protected veteran status, disability, race, color, religion, sex,
sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin.
Nearest Major Market: Flint
Nearest Secondary Market: Detroit
Job Segment: Operations Manager, Electrical, Engineer,
Wastewater, Operations, Engineering
Keywords: CMS Energy, Flint , Operations Manager, Other , Flint, Michigan
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!