Electrical Facilities Engineer
Company: General Motors
Posted on: June 9, 2021
There's never been a more exciting time to work for General
To achieve our vision of a world with Zero Crashes, Zero
Emissions and Zero Congestion, we need people to join us who are
passionate about creating safer, better and more sustainable ways
for people to get around. This bold vision won't happen overnight,
but just as we transformed how the world moved in the last century,
we are committed to transforming how we move today and in the
Why Work for Us
Our culture is focused on building inclusive teams, where
differences and unique perspectives are embraced so you can
contribute to your fullest potential as you pursue your career. Our
locations feature a variety of work environments, including open
work spaces and virtual connection platforms to inspire
productivity and flexible collaboration. And we are proud to
support our employees volunteer interests, and make it a priority
to join together in efforts that give back to our communities.
Key activities you'll be engaged in:
- Problem Solving - Uses rigorous logic and methods to solve
difficult problems with effective solutions; probes all fruitful
sources for answers; can see hidden problems; is excellent at
unbiased analysis; looks beyond the obvious and doesn't stop at the
- Strategic Planning - Sees ahead clearly; can anticipate future
consequences and trends accurately; has broad knowledge and
perspective; is future oriented; can articulately paint credible
pictures and visions of possibilities and likelihoods; can create
competitive and breakthrough strategies and plans.
- Customer Satisfaction - Meeting the expectations and
requirements of internal and external customers; gets first-hand
customer information and uses it for improvements in products and
services; acts with customers in mind; establishes and maintains
effective relationships with customers and gains their trust and
- Delivering High Quality Outcomes - Engineering high quality,
sustainable systems and processes that sustain future business
productivity in multiple types of business units. Ensures that the
facility management team is positioned to succeed amid changing
- Innovation Management - Bringing the creative ideas of others
to market; has good judgment about which creative ideas and
suggestions will work; has a sense about managing the creative
process of others; can facilitate effective brainstorming; can
project how potential ideas may play out in the marketplace.
Additional Job Description
Electrical Facilities Engineer Job Description:
Your responsibilities will include:
- Manage and maintain medium and low voltage electrical
distribution equipment per GM Facility and Safety standards.
- Provide Primary Electrical Substation operations support to
Electrical Utility company for plant. Lead communications regarding
Utility (internal & external) and Production utility disruption
- Manage power distribution drawings and support documentation.
This includes substation one-line drawings, Arc Flash calculations,
Short circuit study etc.
- Manage required PMs, repairs and testing of back-up generators
and automatic transfer switches.
- Manage required PMs, repairs and testing of computer room UPS
- Manage required PMs for 4160 Volt chillers. Work with site
utility manager to develop scope of work and coordinate timing of
- Manage Electrical Safe Work Practice (ESWP) electrician glove
program, 40 Cal. Suit inventory, 8 Cal. daily wear electrician
uniform service for the site. This includes required inspections
- Perform role of Electrical Safe Work Practices (ESWP) Site
Champion for PS4 safety module and salaried Subject Matter Expert
- Manage repairs and upgrades for the Plant Security systems.
This includes surveillance Cameras and Badge Entry, Plant Fire
Alarm System, etc.
- Support day to day facility electrical issues.
- Provide controls engineering support for Facilities systems
e.g. Plant Ventilation Systems, Tank farms, overhead lighting,
substation monitoring, chilled water system
- Provide safe electrical decommissioning of electrical
- Provide input in early stages of manufacturing projects to
ensure adequate utility supply quality and capacity.
- Update and revise Asset database (ACAP) system as it relates
Facilities Electrical Systems
- Develop scope, cost estimates and timing for new facilities
related projects. Use appropriate procurement systems (SAP, PDPM,
NPP) to schedule and manage projects with contract or internal
- Ensure all GM safety policies and procedures are followed by
contractor and internal resources
- Execute projects within budget and complete on schedule.
Coordinate project implementation with plant departments to insure
no unplanned production disruptions.
- Support successful planning and execution of the Workplace
Safety System including but not limited to: speak up for safety,
call to action, safety observation tours, employee safety concerns,
incident investigation, safety module compliance, SIF, and G-Comply
- Develop scope documents and write purchase requests for all
contracts required for above stated work. Use GM purchasing
software and follow approved purchasing processes. Manage purchase
orders and pay invoices for all contracts. Provide month end
accruals for all contracts to finance department.
- Work with plant environmental department as required to ensure
all contracts meet required environmental compliance for
implementation and disposal requirements. This may include required
documentation and maintenance of generators, proper contractor
chemical approval and usage, proper waste disposal, corrective
actions as needed for spill response etc.)
- Work with plant environmental group to develop projects as
required to ensure plant remains in environmental compliance. This
may include monitoring of utilities, maintaining integrity of
containment areas, creating projects to comply with new
- Interface with UAW and comply with the local and national labor
- Interface with GM Audit Services and Legal Staff, as
- Experience with industrial electrical power distribution
systems rated 13,800 V and below - This includes substations, motor
control centers, busway, power panels, control panels and
- Technical aptitude for design, maintenance, and operation of
industrial building electrical systems
- Ability to read electrical distribution one line and switching
diagrams and documents
- Knowledge of National Electrical Code, OSHA and MIOSHA
electrical standards and GM Electrical standards
- Demonstrate high level of analytical ability, communication and
interpersonal skills required to build relationships with team
members and customers to coordinate project implementation, solve
problems and resolve issues.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects and
assignments and have accountability for results
- Experience in project planning, engineering, and execution
- Able to communicate effectively with all levels of
- High level of administrative and organizational skills.
- High level of interpersonal skills to work effectively with
others and motivate employees.
- High level of negotiating skills to resolve issues with both
internal and external stakeholders.
- High level of analytical skills to evaluate and resolve
operational problems while working independently.
- Maintain a strong working relationship with other GM
- Computer skills including competency in office software and
electronic information systems.
- Proficient use of AutoCAD
- Knowledge and experience with Allen Bradley/ Rockwell expertise
in PLC's and VFD's, Siemens S7 experience. Device Net and Ethernet
- Bachelor's Degree with major in electrical engineering or
- Level D substation training for medium voltage switchgear
- Level B substation training for low voltage switchgear
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to
support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our
comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in
addition to many others:
- Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental
leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
- Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings
account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance
plans to cover you and your family;
- Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help
you save for retirement;
- Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize
and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our
- Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
- Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not
only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters
inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce
diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive
and develop better products for our customers. We understand and
embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether
through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer
opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key
responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions
that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to
qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of
an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin,
disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or
veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being
an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers
opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with
disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with
your job search or application for employment, email us at
Careers.Accommodations@GM.com . In your email, please include a
description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as
well as the job title and requisition number of the position for
which you are applying.
Keywords: General Motors, Flint , Electrical Facilities Engineer, Other , Flint, Michigan
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!