Company: MyMichigan Health
Posted on: January 27, 2023
Phlebotomist Position Summary:
The phlebotomist is responsible for the distribution of specimens
to proper departments and proper preparation of specimens for
Why You Will Love Being a Phlebotomist at MyMichigan Health:
- MyMichigan Health is a technology driven organization.
- Benefits and immediate paid time off (PTO) available.
- Growth opportunity within the team including on-the-job
Certain benefits may vary based on your employment status.
A Day in the Life of a Phlebotomist at MyMichigan Health:
- (25%)* Provide superior customer service by maintaining
positive relations with patients during invasive procedures.
Respond to the needs of customers of all ages and help to resolve
exceptions. Help maintain laboratory market share with direct,
professional communication with patients, physicians, nurses,
medical departments, and outreach customers. Educate patients and
other laboratory clients in proper test protocol.
- (25%)* Accurately interpret physician orders to collect high
- (25%)* Perform invasive procedures including venipuncture,
micro-capillary collections, central line draws (where applicable),
and other test procedures on patients of all age groups by
following exact protocols and procedures including patient
preparation prior to testing and administration of various glucose
- (25%)* Handle specimens including selection of the appropriate
specimen type to ensure high quality, reliable test results.
Provide the timely distribution of specimens to ensure the shortest
possible turnaround time in order to reduce expenses within medical
departments and improve patient care. Communicate with and prepare
esoteric specimens for shipment to reference laboratories. Maintain
Requirements We Are Looking For:
- High school diploma required
- Valid Driver's License required
- Completion of a formal phlebotomy program that includes both
classroom and practical (on-the-job) experience.
- Communication, customer service, and organizational skills
- Knowledge of specimen integrity guidelines; laboratory test and
medical terminology; and current laboratory policies, procedures,
and protocols preferred.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- Follow patient registration procedures where required.
- Follow strict identification policies to accurately identify
- Demonstrate competency in infection prevention and control
practices and policies.
- Follow hand hygiene policies and utilizes personal protective
equipment (PPE) as required.
- Computer skills:
- Know multiple functions in the Laboratory Information System
(LIS), Hospital Information System (HIS), and reference lab
- Use the LIS computer to schedule workload and inpatient rounds,
interpret test orders and place them into the computer, retrieve
billing information and assist with patient registration, and
communicate test results according to strict confidentiality
- Adhere to all laboratory policies and procedures.
*NOTE: PHYSICAL/MENTAL REQUIREMENTS MAY BE APPLICABLE WITH THIS
Refer to job description for a complete list of requirements.
Keywords: MyMichigan Health, Flint , Phlebotomist, Healthcare , Alma, Michigan
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!