Company: MyMichigan Health
Posted on: August 4, 2022
Summary Phlebotomist Position Summary: The phlebotomist is
responsible for the distribution of specimens to proper departments
and proper preparation of specimens for laboratory analysis. Why
You Will Love Being a Phlebotomist at MyMichigan Health:
MyMichigan Health is a technology
driven organization. Growth opportunity within the team including
on-the-job training. Certain benefits may vary based on your
employment status. A Day in the Life of a Phlebotomist at
- (25%)* Provide superior customer service by maintaining
positive relations with patients during invasive procedures.
Respond to the needs of customers of all ages and help to resolve
exceptions. Help maintain laboratory market share with direct,
professional communication with patients, physicians, nurses,
medical departments, and outreach customers. Educate patients and
other laboratory clients in proper test protocol.
- (25%)* Accurately interpret physician orders to collect high
- (25%)* Perform invasive procedures including venipuncture,
micro-capillary collections, central line draws (where applicable),
and other test procedures on patients of all age groups by
following exact protocols and procedures including patient
preparation prior to testing and administration of various glucose
- (25%)* Handle specimens including selection of the appropriate
specimen type to ensure high quality, reliable test results.
Provide the timely distribution of specimens to ensure the shortest
possible turnaround time in order to reduce expenses within medical
departments and improve patient care. Communicate with and prepare
esoteric specimens for shipment to reference laboratories. Maintain
specimen integrity. Requirements We Are Looking For:
- High school diploma required
- Completion of a formal phlebotomy program that includes both
classroom and practical (on-the-job) experience.
- Communication, customer service, and organizational skills
- Knowledge of specimen integrity guidelines; laboratory test and
medical terminology; and current laboratory policies, procedures,
and protocols preferred. Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- Follow patient registration procedures where required.
- Follow strict identification policies to accurately identify
- Demonstrate competency in infection prevention and control
practices and policies.
- Follow hand hygiene policies and utilizes personal protective
equipment (PPE) as required.
- Computer skills:
- Know multiple functions in the Laboratory Information System
(LIS), Hospital Information System (HIS), and reference lab
- Use the LIS computer to schedule workload and inpatient rounds,
interpret test orders and place them into the computer, retrieve
billing information and assist with patient registration, and
communicate test results according to strict confidentiality
- Adhere to all laboratory policies and procedures.
- Demonstrate knowledge and ability and competence in treating
patients who range in age from birth to 100+ years. *NOTE:
PHYSICAL/MENTAL REQUIREMENTS MAY BE APPLICABLE WITH THIS POSITION.
Refer to job description for a complete list of requirements.
Keywords: MyMichigan Health, Flint , Phlebotomist, Healthcare , Gladwin, Michigan
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!