Pharmacy Technician, Full Time - Midnight Shift
Company: Saint Joseph Mercy Health System
Posted on: June 25, 2022
Employment Type:Full timeShift:Night ShiftDescription:Michigan
Licensed Pharmacy Technician Required
- An Opportunity to Join Our Remarkable Care Team!Saint Joseph
Mercy Health System, one of the nation's top health care services
providers, spanning five counties in Southeastern Michigan. SJMHS
represents more than 2,700 physicians and 14,000 nurses and staff,
and includes 6 Hospitals, 5 Outpatient Health Centers, 8 Urgent
Care Facilities and over 25 Specialty Centers.GENERAL SUMMARY AND
PURPOSE:Under the immediate supervision of a pharmacist and
Pharmacy Department leadership, provides daily pharmaceutical
supportive services for the Department of Pharmacy according to
established procedures and in compliance with pharmacy laws, other
regulatory agencies and other members of the multi-disciplinary
team. Responds to routine and emergency requests in a prompt and
efficient manner, requiring a relatively high degree of independent
judgement. Participates in departmental education activities and
competency assessment. Actively supports and participates in the
department's continuous quality improvement initiatives; promotes
the organizational commitment to customer service.ESSENTIAL
- Reads and interprets physician's medication orders, assists
with filling, processing and dispensing of medications, re-packages
and labels medication, including bulk supplies, with final check
performed by a pharmacist.
- Maintains cleanliness and aseptic technique while following
established departmental compounding practices and procedures when
mixing intravenous admixtures including IVPBs, large volume
parenterals, and total parenteral nutrition, if necessary.
- Prior to performing drug preparation proven competency while
working aseptically in a horizontal orvertical laminar (biological
safety cabinet) flow hood using aseptic technique is required.
- Delivers controlled substances and other medications to nursing
units' automated medication dispensing cabinets (ADC).
- Fills inventory needs for nursing unit ADCs, non-cabinet stock,
and fills unit dose drawers by placing the proper drugs in the bins
according to the computerized patient profile.
- Supports the drug inventory process including rotation and
restocking of drug dispensing areas with drugs and supplies needed
to process patient medication orders.
- Answers phones according to established phone etiquette and
directs calls to the proper personnel.
- Determines when phone calls or emergency situations need to be
referred to a pharmacist.
- Completes nursing unit inspections, as assigned.
- Restocks crash cart trays and OCMCA boxes etc., as required in
a timely manner.
- Alerts the pharmacists or pharmacy management of any
- Fills controlled substance orders and reconciles all
discrepancies on a daily basis.
- Reports any discrepancies to the pharmacist or pharmacy
management as appropriate.
- Monitors any unusual activity for potential drug
- Adheres to all safety measures for handling
- Maintains all necessary paperwork, legal documents, and records
for all medications, including chemotherapy prepared for
- Obtains medications accurately from the department's automated
medication supplier (i.e., BoxPicker).
- Utilizes the MedBoard software system and bar code scanning to
track the delivery of medications to the nursing units.
- Maintains good rapport and cooperative relationships.
- Helps to identify problems, offer solutions, and participate in
- Must be able to set and organize own work priorities, and adapt
to them as they change frequently.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to
perform the competencies/essential functions satisfactorily with or
without reasonable accommodation.
- In accordance with unit or departmental practice, determines
that appropriate charges have been entered for the correct patient,
encounter, date/time of service, with any required modifiers.
- In accordance with unit or departmental practice, actively
participates in on-going education and communication regarding
- In accordance with unit or departmental practice, assists with
tracking and monitoring of equipment assigned to the unit.
- Mentors and assists with training of Pharmacy Technician
students and provides input regarding their progress.
- Rotational schedule with required weekend and holiday
- Also available for coverage as needed.
- Additional duties as assigned by the hiring manager.SKILLS,
KNOWLEDGE, EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:Education:
- Requires high school diploma or equivalent. Completion of a
formal Pharmacy Technician educational program and/or completion of
an Associate's Degree preferred.Experience:
- Previous pharmacy experience, hospital-based pharmacy
experience preferred. Formal Pharmacy Technician program
experiential education may be considered in lieu of work
- Licensure in the State of Michigan is required.
- Certification as a Pharmacy Technician is preferred.REQUIRED
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Essential mathematics skills to be able to add, subtract,
multiply and divide in all units of measure.
- Possesses effective computer and keyboarding skills; ability to
work with Pharmacy Information Systems and automation used in the
medication use process.
- Able to use email to communicate with other members of the
department including pharmacy management.
- Excellent critical thinking skills and ability to make
decisions in a fast-paced work environment
- A team oriented colleague that is detail oriented and
passionate about medication and patient safety as well as quality
- Excellent customer service orientation skills necessary in
order to deal effectively with various levels of hospital
personnel, outside customers and community groups.Employees of St.
Joseph Mercy Health System enjoy---
- Competitive compensation
- Full benefits package including Medical, Dental, Vision, PTO,
Life Insurance and Disability
- Retirement savings plan with employer contribution
- Opportunity for growth and advancement throughout SJMHS and
Trinity HealthVisit www.stjoeshealth.org/careers to learn more
about the benefits, culture and career development opportunities
available to you at Saint Joseph Mercy Health System.Our Commitment
to Diversity and Inclusion
Trinity Health is a family of 115,000 colleagues and nearly 26,000
physicians and clinicians across 25 states. Because we serve
diverse populations, our colleagues are trained to recognize the
cultural beliefs, values, traditions, language preferences, and
health practices of the communities that we serve and to apply that
knowledge to produce positive health outcomes. We also recognize
that each of us has a different way of thinking and perceiving our
world and that these differences often lead to innovative
solutions.Our dedication to diversity includes a unified workforce
(through training and education, recruitment, retention, and
development), commitment and accountability, communication,
community partnerships, and supplier diversity.
Keywords: Saint Joseph Mercy Health System, Flint , Pharmacy Technician, Full Time - Midnight Shift, Healthcare , Howell, Michigan
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!