Community Health Worker
Company: Greater Flint Health Coalition
Posted on: June 24, 2022
GREATER FLINT HEALTH COALITIONJOB DESCRIPTIONPosition Title:
Community Health WorkerDepartment: Genesee Community Health Access
Program (CHAP)Greater Flint Health Coalition - Flint, MIGreater
Flint Health Coalition is seeking a Community Health Worker to join
our team.Overview:Greater Flint Health Coalition operates the
Genesee Community Health Access Program (CHAP), which seeks to
connect residents to a medical home and remove barriers to care
typically associated with the social determinants of health while
raising the quality of care, better utilizing resources, and
decreasing costs. Genesee CHAP's priority population is Flint
andGenesee County children and adults covered by Medicaid
insurance, as well as those residents who are uninsured and
underinsured.The Community Health Worker (CHW) position serves as a
liaison, link or intermediary between health and social services,
supporting residents to access services while improving the quality
and cultural competence of service delivery. CHWs build individual
and community capacity by increasing the health knowledge and
self-sufficiency of residents through a range of activities such as
outreach, community education, informal counseling, social support,
and advocacy. A valued member of the Genesee CHAP team, CHWs
provide residents with linkages to community-based and
health-related services that support individuals and families to
address social determinant of health needs, including
transportation, food insecurity, housing, utility assistance, and
health education. CHWs primarily work with Flint and Genesee County
residents covered by Medicaid insurance, as well as those who are
uninsured or underinsured.In response to the COVID-19 pandemic,
Community Health Workers can also support local efforts related to
contact tracing, community resource navigation, and traditional
health education in both clinical and community settings.Primary
- Provides a culturally competent bridge among individuals,
communities, social service systems, and health systems.
- Provides culturally appropriate health education and
- Provides care coordination, case management, and system
navigation to assure access to care.
- Provides coaching and social support, including one-on-one
guidance to patients or residents to help manage health related
services and needs.
- Builds individual and community capacity by teaching those
served how to manage their own health needs and access
- Implements individual and community assessments to determine
health related needs and/or identify risks.
- Conducts outreach to residents and patients, including home
visiting to provide education, assessment, social support, and
- Supports COVID-19 response efforts, including contact tracing,
health education, wrap around service delivery, and community
- Works collaboratively and effectively within an
interdisciplinary team that includes social workers and nurses.
- Adheres to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability
Act of 1996 (HIPAA) and all related legislation to safeguard
Protected Health Information (PHI).
- Documents activities in required databases as required by
- Support the mission, vision, values and key strategies of the
Greater Flint Health Coalition, as well as the development of
collaborative relationships with the organizations that interface
with the program.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.Qualifications &
Experience Required:To be successful in this position, a candidate
must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The
requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge,
skill, and/or ability required.
- High School diploma or equivalent; college degree in social
work technician, social work, or nursing a plus.
- 1+ years of experience working with community agencies
providing services encompassing the basic competency areas of
health, including community resources, communication skills,
individual and family advocacy, health education, services skills
- Certification as a Community Health Worker or willingness to
become certified a plus.
- Must be willing and able to visits clients in their homes in
Flint and Genesee County.
- Experience working in healthcare environment a plus.
- Bilingual (Spanish/English) a plus.
- Competent in Microsoft Office suite computer applications
(including Word, Excel,PowerPoint), internet usage, and use of
- Prioritization and organization skills.
- Valid Michigan driver's license, automobile insurance, and a
- Maintains high level of confidentiality and acceptance of
- Demonstrates a high level of cultural competencies in the daily
performance of duties.
- Ability to build and maintain relationships with a diverse
- Demonstrates ability to work within a team-based environment;
is flexible with schedule, tasks and settings; complies with
organizational, state and federal rules.
- Demonstrates excellent customer service performance on all
contacts with internal and external customers, with attitude and
actions that are consistent with Genesee CHAP's culture.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills
and an ability to present self in a courteous, tactful, and
- Considerate, attentive, and punctual.
- Great passion for the mission, vision, and values of the
Greater Flint Health Coalition and able to promote these both
internally and externally.
- Motivated, reliable, collaborative.Reports to: Senior Program
DirectorJob Status:Full Time, Salary; Monday through Friday, 8:30
a.m. to 5:00 p.m. with client service activities earlier, later, or
on weekends as required by the responsibilities of the
position.Compensation:Greater Flint Health Coalition's
collaborative work environment emphasizes teamwork, personal
commitment, integrity, and success. In addition to the meaningful
and groundbreaking work to improve health on a community-wide
level, GFHC offers a competitive hourly wage commensurate with
experience. Benefits include paid time off, holidays, medical,
vision, and dental benefits plus life & disability insurance paid
100% by employer for employee, 403b, and more.About Greater Flint
Health Coalition:Established in 1996, Greater Flint Health
Coalition serves as the neutral convener and backbone organization
for public health and healthcare collaboration between Flint &
Genesee County hospitals, physicians, insurers, businesses,
government, public health, schools and colleges, nonprofits, and
residents. We work to improve the health status of area residents,
and improve the quality and cost effectiveness of the healthcare
system in our community. For more information on the GFHC and our
work, please visit our website http://www.gfhc.org.Greater Flint
Health Coalition is committed to creating and preserving a diverse
and inclusive workforce. Our community programs, multi-sector
partnerships, and workplace are open and welcoming to all persons
and perspectives, inclusive of people of all background, race,
ethnicity, culture, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual
orientation, national origin, and other characteristic. We seek to
grow and learn from a unique team of employees sharing diverse
perspectives that are valued.To apply, please submit the following
Application Materials:Qualified applicants please submit (a) cover
letter (addressing how candidate meets qualifications), (b) resume,
(c) salary history, and (d) employment references via the
GreaterFlint Health Coalition website at
http://www.gfhc.org/jobs.This position is open until filled.NO
PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
Keywords: Greater Flint Health Coalition, Flint , Community Health Worker, Healthcare , Flint, Michigan
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!