Program Director - Camp Nissokone
Company: YMCA of Metropolitan Detroit
Posted on: April 10, 2021
YMCA Camp Nissokone, 6836 F-41, Oscoda, Michigan, United States
of America Req #600 Wednesday, February 3, 2021 The YMCA of
Metropolitan Detroit is a non-profit organization dedicated to
strengthening the foundation of community through youth
development, healthy living, and social responsibility. Imagine
going to work knowing that what you do each day positively affects
the lives of the people in your community. Working at the Y, you'll
discover more than just a job-you'll enjoy a career with the chance
to make a lasting difference in the lives of those around you.
POSITION SUMMARY: The Program Director shall be directly
responsible for the implementation of all programs at YMCA Camp
Nissokone including summer camp, outdoor education and rental
groups to provide a safe, healthy, unique environment for children
and families to learn and grow. The Program Director will also
assist the Executive Director with the operational details of all
other programs and communications. This position supports the work
of the Y, a leading nonprofit, charitable organization committed to
strengthening community through youth development, healthy living
and social responsibility. OUR CULTURE: Our mission and core values
are brought to life by our culture. At the Y, we strive to live our
cause of strengthening communities with purpose and intentionality
every day.--We are welcoming: we are open to all. We are a place
where you can belong and become.--We are genuine: we value you and
embrace your individuality.--We are hopeful: we believe in you and
your potential to become a catalyst in the world.--We are
nurturing: we support you in your journey to develop your full
potential.--We are determined: above all else, we are on a
relentless quest to make our community stronger beginning with you.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS :
- Ensure that camp environment, equipment and supplies are
adequate, age-appropriate and safe.
- Hire, supervise and train staff approximately 30 - 45 seasonal
staff and volunteers.
- Serves as international staff liaison in conjunction with the
international YMCAs and other staffing agencies. Recruit, hire,
train and assist with cultural transitions to working and living in
the United States.
- Recruits, develops, schedules, directs, motivates and provides
in-service training for staff and volunteers.
- Directs, supervises and monitors--camp--operations and program
activities to meet YMCA objectives and adhere to state, local and
YMCA health and safety regulations.
- Maintain/ensure adherence to guidelines from American Camping
Association and State of Michigan (LARA).
- Conducts inventory and monitors program equipment as needed.
Plan and prepare supply requisitions and purchasing of program
- Continue professional development through training programs and
- Assist with marketing and communications, and Annual
- Act as point person for group rentals/partnerships (including
sales, customer service, program planning) before, during and after
the camp experience.
- Coordinate relevant guest information with other departments
(food service, facilities, Camp Ohiyesa).
- Actively participate in YMCA and ACA trainings and committees
to effectively position YMCA Camp Nissokone in the YMCA and ACA
movements both locally and nationally.
- Support the philanthropic goals of the YMCA.
- Works with the facility department to inspect equipment for
safety hazards, damage, or wear.
- Communicates to the Executive Director any suggestions,
concerns or incidents that may need follow-up.
- Act as Manager on Duty in absence of Executive Director.
- Perform other tasks as deemed necessary by the Executive
Director. YMCA COMPETENCIES:
- Mission Advancement : Models and teaches the Ys values. Ensures
a high level of service with a commitment to changing lives.
Provides volunteers with orientation, training, development, and
recognition. Cultivates relationships to support fund-raising.
- Collaboration : Champions inclusion activities, strategies, and
initiatives. Builds relationships
to create small communities. Empathetically listens and
communicates for understanding when negotiating and dealing with
conflict. Effectively tailors communications to the appropriate
audience. Provides staff with feedback, coaching, guidance and
- Operational Effectiveness : Provides others with frameworks for
making decisions. Conducts prototypes to support the launching of
programs and activities. Develops plans and manages best practices
through engagement of team. Effectively creates and manages
budgets. Holds staff accountable for high-quality results using a
formal process to measure progress.
- Personal Growth : Shares new insights. Facilitates change;
models adaptability and an awareness of the impact of change.
Utilizes non-threatening methods to address sensitive issues and
inappropriate behavior or performance. Has the functional and
technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best
practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in
- Bachelor's Degree in Recreation, Education or a related field
- 3-5 years of experience working in a residential camp setting
- Certification in First Aid/CPR/AED/oxygen administration is
required within first 60 days of employment
- Meets prerequisite qualifications required for Camp Director by
American Camp Association (ACA) and State of Michigan Licensing and
Regulatory Affairs (LARA).
- Must have ability to focus on multiple projects, excellent
customer service skills and be a team player.
- Strong organizational and time management skills are
- Lifeguard certification / ability to attain Lifeguard
Instructor Certification strongly preferred.
- Must be able to implement and evaluate all programs conducted
by YMCA Camp Nissokone and must be able to develop overall
guidelines for programs/learning activities and work with rental
Group Leaders / partners and staff to develop and operational
- 2 to 3 years of supervisory experience is required including
the ability to recruit, train, motivate, and supervise staff as
well as the ability to work with committees.
- Computer skills needed, particularly with Microsoft Office and
email applications, along with ability to learn the internal YMCA
software.-- -- WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical
demands described here are representative of those that must be met
by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of
this job.--Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable
individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Regularly required to sit, stand and walk for long periods of
time, to talk and hear, to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds, to
climb or balance, to stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl, occasional
bending or squatting.
- Specific vision abilities required by this position include
close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision,
depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Frequent aural communication is required, in person and on the
telephone. Ability to sing around campfires, participate in high
adventure activities (climbing, belaying, zip lining, horseback
riding, canoeing, etc.), as well as hike and work in an outdoor
wilderness environment. The YMCA of Metropolitan Detroit ("YMCA")
is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to be an inclusive and
welcoming environment for all. The YMCA does not discriminate in
recruitment, hiring or other terms or conditions of employment on
the basis of race, color, gender, gender identity, sex, age,
religion, national origin, genetic information, ethnicity, height,
weight, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, military
status or application or any other basis protected by state,
federal or other applicable law. The YMCA of Metropolitan Detroit
is committed to ensuring the safety and well-being of children in
our programs. We hold all staff, regardless of position, to the
highest possible standards. We require all staff to be screened
regularly and sign a code of conduct. All staff will be monitored
when interacting with
program participants. We take any inappropriate interactions
participants and with staff very seriously and will fully cooperate
authorities in any case of abuse.--
- YMCA Camp Nissokone, 6836 F-41, Oscoda, Michigan, United States
Keywords: YMCA of Metropolitan Detroit, Flint , Program Director - Camp Nissokone, Executive , Oscoda, Michigan
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!