Phlebotomist/Tech Assistant - Satellite Office
Company: Memorial Healthcare
Posted on: May 27, 2023
General secretarial and receptionist duties, plus maintain work
environment in good working condition with equipment and supplies.
Receives and collects specimens for analysis, collects workload
statistical information, assists in Continuous Improvement
Activities, and maintains processing equipment. Under supervision
may perform CLIA 88 Waived Tests. Assists satellite clinical office
staff to assure efficient patient service and physician
notification. Communicates with main laboratory staff and manager
on a regular basis and assists in new service development. Strives
for superior performance by consistently providing a product or
service to leadership and staff that is recognized as ultimately
contributing to the patient and family experience. Recognizes and
demonstrates understanding of patient and family centered care.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible for general secretarial duties including but not
limited to answering the telephone, log physician requests, compile
pertinent statistics, call reports, keeps office/testing area
clean, and schedules outpatient testing.
- Performs computer tasks including but not limited to assigning
medical record numbers, entering insurance information, requests
and reports results of testing.
- Maintains and updates Satellite Station records and files; must
be accurate, current and in general good condition.
- Communicates messages between the hospital staff and
clients/patients with accuracy, professional courtesy and
- Obtains laboratory specimens from patients within guidelines of
acceptable laboratory policy and procedure (venous, capillary,
- Properly processes specimens as required for shipment to the
- Delivers specimens and covers courier duties when
- Performs point of care procedures as established by the
Laboratory Leadership following CLIA 88 Waived Tests
- Routinely check rotates orders and judiciously utilizes
- Responsible for accuracy and promptness of collection,
processing and shipping of specimens.
- Responsible for identifying and implementation of Continuous
- Responsible for the safe handling, tracking and disposal of
wastes, sharps and confidential papers.
- Orientation of new employees.
- Work with training phlebotomy students.
- Maintains good public relations and service-oriented
- Evaluates patients for any special approach or procedural needs
based on age, sex, cultural values, and psychosocial status.
- Collects bacteriological specimens by using correct
- Able to perform all CLIA waived as defined per location.
- Observes patient and employee confidentiality as described by
the privacy policies of this institution.
- Demonstrates job related aspects of patient safety to assure a
safe environment, safe and effective use of equipment and
technology, and decreased risk of potential adverse patient
- Demonstrates knowledge of, and supports hospital mission,
vision, and value statements, standards, policies, procedures,
operating instructions, confidentiality statements, corporate
compliance plan, customer service standards, and the code of
- Must be able to demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary
to provide care appropriate to the age of patients served on
his/her assigned unit. Must demonstrate knowledge of the principles
of growth and development over the life span and possess the
ability to assess data reflective of the patient's status and
interpret the appropriate information needed to identify each
patient's requirements relative to his/her age-specific needs, and
to provide the care needed as described in the unit's and
division's policies and procedures. JOB SPECIFICATIONS
- High School diploma, phlebotomy training preferred. EXPERIENCE
- Two years recent phlebotomy experience (arterial, capillary,
- Demonstrated ability to handle responsibilities without direct
- Experience with Satellite operations and NIDA and NON-NIDA
- Must have valid Michigan Driver's License with good driving
- Has proven initiative, ability to maintain excellent public
relations during high-volume workloads, and is service-motivated.
- Familiar with standard healthcare procedures, billing and
insurance, confidentiality, and standard laboratory procedures.
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Ability to travel independently within the drawing
- Able to rotate and stock supplies up to 40 lbs.
- Ability to drive independently between hospital and all service
locations and obtain specimens. ESSENTIAL MENTAL ABILITIES
- Able to interpret medical terminology abbreviations, follow
collection and testing instructions.
- Able to maintain self-control when clients are angry or
- Ability to handle stress of driving in poor weather conditions.
ESSENTIAL TECHNICAL/MOTOR SKILLS
- Small motor skills required for typing, computer entry, using
telephone, loading computer paper into printers, and to sort
- Ability to utilize droppers to add specimens pipettes to
transfer specimens, and coordination to remove sharps into sharps
- Ability to manipulate syringes, vacuum tubes, capillary
collection devices independently.
- Ability to apply protective equipment such as gloves, gowns,
- Ability to dispose of sharps utilizing twisting removal
- Ability to work behind protective shields.
- Ability to prepare feather-tip slides, operate LED
instrumentation, perform manual wet work tests (droppers, tablets,
- Knowledge of and the ability to properly aliquot, label and
package specimens for transport under the proper conditions for
delivery to the Main Lab.
- Ability to palpate, assess and prepare collection sites.
ESSENTIAL SENSORY REQUIREMENTS
- Able to communicate with staff/individuals at pick-up points,
patients, and all hospital staff.
- Ability to write, read and see, and pass color-blindness test.
- Ability to interact well with clients, public, co-workers and
- Ability to effectively communicate using MHC defined calming
techniques with hostile clients.
Keywords: Memorial Healthcare, Flint , Phlebotomist/Tech Assistant - Satellite Office, Administration, Clerical , Owosso, Michigan
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...