Patient Care Secretary - PCS
Company: Memorial Health Care Center
Posted on: January 27, 2023
JOB SUMMARY Works under the supervision of the department
supervisor/director or charge nurse. Performs the receptionist and
clerical duties on the unit while functioning as a focal
communication source in the nursing station. Strives for superior
performance by consistently providing a product or service to
leadership and staff that is recognized as ultimately contributing
to the patient and family experience. Recognizes and demonstrates
understanding of patient and family centered care. PRIMARY JOB
- Receives, greets, and directs patients, visitors, and hospital
personnel arriving in or calling the Emergency Department, and
refers requests to appropriate hospital personnel.
- Initiates, assembles and maintains charts for all patients in
the department and files diagnostic and laboratory reports in
appropriate charts as needed.
- Maintains adequate quantity of forms, materials, supplies, and
- Communicates all pertinent patient care information and general
environmental information to the department supervisor/director or
other unit staff as appropriate.
- Upon request, compiles statistical data.
- Copies and files as requested, including organization of
- Schedules patient procedures where applicable.
- Attends in-service education programs as assigned and completes
- Demonstrates job related aspects of patient safety to assure a
safe environment, safe and effective use of equipment and
technology, and decreased risk of potential adverse patient
- Must be able to demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary
to provide care appropriate to the age of patients served on
his/her assigned unit. Must demonstrate knowledge of the principles
of growth and development over the life span and possess the
ability to assess data reflective of the patient's status and
interpret the appropriate information needed to identify each
patient's requirements relative to his/her age-specific needs, and
to provide the care needed as described in the unit's and
division's policies and procedures.
- Demonstrates knowledge of and supports hospital mission,
vision, value statements, standards, policies and procedures,
operating instructions, confidentiality statements, corporate
compliance plan, customer service standards, and the code of
ethical behavior. DEPARTMENTAL AND ADDITIONAL JOB
- Maintain a clean, safe, and functional working
- Participates in Performance Improvement activities.
- Assists department supervisor/director with clerical duties as
- Other duties as assigned JOB SPECIFICATIONS EDUCATION
- Completion of medical terminology course; completion of patient
care secretary class at an accredited college, Memorial Healthcare,
or equivalent on-the-job experience. Requires level of education
necessary to read and interpret physicians' orders and patient
charts, perform basic math skills.
- BLS is required.
- CPI training required. EXPERIENCE
- Previous experience preferred, not required. ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL
ABILITIES/MOTOR SKILLS These physical requirements are not
exhaustive and additional job related physical requirements may be
added on an as needed basis. Corrective devices may be used to meet
- Sedentary Work: Frequently required to stand, kneel and crouch.
On a daily basis may be required to move about, sit, climb stairs
and bend. Is frequently required to lift and carry up to 20 lbs.
May be required to push/pull/carry items between 20-100 lbs.
- Vision: Requires the ability to perceive the nature of objects
by the eye. Near acuity: Clarity of vision at 20 inches or less.
Midrange Acuity: Clarity of vision at distances of more than 20
inches and less than 20 feet.
- Motor Coordination: While performing the duties of the job, it
is required to regularly perform functions that include using hand
and finger movement, handle or feel objects, be able to use tools
or equipment that requires reaching with hands and arms. Must be
able to travel independently throughout the hospital; access
patients/families including areas confined by space and/or
- Speaking/Hearing: Ability to give and receive information
through speaking and listening. ESSENTIAL TECHNICAL ABILITIES
- Proficiency using modern office, computer and telephone
equipment as used by Memorial Healthcare.
- Hand-eye coordination and fine motor skills for transcription
of orders; ability to communicate via telephone; ability to utilize
a computer to enter and retrieve data. ESSENTIAL MENTAL
- Ability to adapt and maintain focus in fast paced, quickly
changing or stressful situations.
- Ability to read and interpret a variety of documents including,
but not limited to policies, operating instructions, white papers,
regulations, rules and laws.
- Ability to follow directions and protocols; ability to
understand doctors orders; ability to maintain proper chart
organization; ability to keep self and nursing unit organized and
prioritize tasks. ESSENTIAL SENSORY REQUIREMENTS
- Able to see for the purpose of reading information received in
formats including but not limited to paper, computer, reports,
bulletins, updates, manuals.
- Able to see and hear for work-related purposes.
- Ability to communicate effectively; ability to read doctors
orders. INTERPERSONAL SKILLS
- Ability to interact with co-workers, hospital staff,
administration, patients, physicians, the public and all internal
and external customers in a professional and effective, courteous
and tactful manner, at all times, physically, verbally and in all
written and electronic communication.
- Required to remain calm when adversity is encountered.
- Open, honest, and tactful communication skills.
- Ability to work as a team member in all activities.
- Positive, cooperative and motivated attitude.
Keywords: Memorial Health Care Center, Flint , Patient Care Secretary - PCS, Administration, Clerical , Owosso, Michigan
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!